Elder Financial Protection Network, Logo
(910) 918-2271

Report Suspected Abuse

To report suspected elder abuse or financial exploitation, elders or their advocates can contact Adult Protective Services (APS) or a law enforcement agency. Here are some resources you may find useful:

  • Use the National Elder Care Locator to Find Adult Protective Services in Your Community, Anywhere in the US. Just Enter Your Zip Code in the Locator, or Call 800-677-1116
  • Search the California Law Enforcement Contact List by County to Find Law Enforcement Agencies in Your Community.

Financial Institutions

Officers and Employees of financial institutions in California are mandated to report suspected elder financial abuse, and required to submit a special report known as the Report of Suspected Dependent Adult/Elder Financial Abuse (SOC 342). The oral or written report may be made to the adult protective services agency (APS) in the county where the apparent victim resides, or to a law enforcement agency in the county where the incident occurred. If the mandated reporter knows the apparent victim resides in a long-term care facility, the report must be provided to the local ombudsman or local law enforcement agency. The mandated reporter must first report the incident by telephone, followed by a written report within two working days, using the SOC 342 form.

State and Federal Initiatives Guidance

The State of California Welfare and Institutions Code Sections 15630-15632 describe mandated reporting requirements and details.

Federal regulatory agencies agree that reporting suspected elder financial abuse is not in violation of the privacy provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Several federal agencies issued the Interagency Guidance on Privacy Laws and Reporting Financial Abuse of Older Adults to clarify this aspect of reporting financial elder abuse.